Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MySpondylitisTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MySpondylitisTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
just_jayne01@hotmail.com

I have cervical spondylitis and degenerative disc disease, lately upon getting out of bed I have gone extremely dizzy, followed by breaking out into a cold sweat and feeling nauseous. It lasts for about 30 minutes and then I'm fine for the rest of the day. Anyone else have these episodes?
I have a feeling that it's either bone spurs or discs pressing on my spinal cord, but I also know that seeing my GP will trigger a wait to see a musculoskeletal triage, followed by a wait to see a specialist!

February 18, 2020
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members empathized with the original poster's frightening episodes of dizziness, cold sweats, and nausea upon waking, sharing similar... Read more

Members empathized with the original poster's frightening episodes of dizziness, cold sweats, and nausea upon waking, sharing similar experiences with cervical spondylitis, degenerative disc disease, and spinal stenosis that cause nerve compression and vestibular symptoms. Several members offered practical guidance, including seeking referrals to rheumatologists or neurologists (despite lengthy NHS wait times), exploring nerve block injections (which one member found gave nearly six months of pain relief), considering TENS units or electrode stimulators for symptom management, and taking medications like Dramamine for dizziness. A recurring theme was frustration with slow healthcare systems and dismissive emergency room visits, balanced by determination to advocate for proper imaging and specialist care while refusing to let progressive conditions steal their quality of life.

A MySpondylitisTeam Member

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member thanks for blocking DUBS, we don't need any of that going on

February 18, 2020
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

A specialists will help πŸ˜€β€οΈπŸ™take care and may God Bless Prayers and Hugs

February 28, 2020
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member
I don't have AS, I have Cervical Spondylitis, Degenerative Disc Disease and Osteoarthritis (although that's debatable seeing as I started with it age 27). But CS causes spurs, as does DDD (which I didn't know until recently having suffered since I was 21), so it could be any or all of them causing it I suppose. I had an MRI summer 2017, but obviously things could have changed since then. I already have nerve block injections in the left of my neck, every 6 months and they work brilliantly for me, stopping pain for almost the full 6 months and above that, I don't get the debilitating migraines I used to get before them. I was under the care of a neurosurgeon way, way back when I went numb all below the waist, he saved me from being a paraplegic, but I haven't seen one since 1999, or a specialist other than my pain specialist. I know from reading my medical notes that I won't ever be "better" it's degenerative and will only get worse, but I just want to enjoy what life I have until the day I drop!

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member
I had an MRI in summer 2017, which showed changes, but nothing to worry about he said. I have had nerve block injections since 2013, which help with pain, but this dizziness is new. Our health service has changed dramatically in the last 10 years, no matter whether you need to see a specialist or not, you have to see a triage musculoskeletal doctor who plays god and decides whether you need to see a specialist or not. You then have a wait of up to 3 months to see that specialist, unless they say it's urgent and then it can take 6 weeks πŸ™„πŸ€ͺ It's mad!
Thanks for the prayers and blessing, but, no offence, I don't believe in any god, if there was one none of us would be put through all this c***.

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member

I have had periods of it, I can be doing anything, but mainly just starting to move and the world spins, and I have to stand still, drop my head and hope it passes. This is different, in that it isn't vertigo (where it happens if I move my head, I've had that, it's awful), it's something I've never experienced before and never want to again! πŸ˜†
Of course I Googled the symptoms and it told me that they were signs of a heart attack for a woman!πŸ™„

February 18, 2020
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member I have osteoarthritis too (well, my GP at the time told me it was when my Rha levels were borderline...I was 27!) so very similar to you. DDD causes the discs to bulge and press on nerves, isn't life fun? πŸ˜†
I'm just being very careful about what position I sleep in and not having a full body stretch when I wake up! I'm going to see if I can get in to see my preferred GP (different surgery) to ask to be referred to a rheumatologist, in all my years of suffering I have never seen one!

As for the delightful DUBS I have reported their reply and blocked them. Horrible person.

February 18, 2020 (edited)
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member Only that that line of mental thought will not show up on an MRI scan unless it is a brain scan !

February 18, 2020

Related Questions

View All
A MySpondylitisTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Devon, UK

A MySpondylitisTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Dartmouth, MA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In