Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MySpondylitisTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MySpondylitisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Helena, MT
April 24, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member. Yes. Causes intense itching and constipation, pleasant mood, pain relief while on it, but also not safe to drive or do much of anything. Some professionals say that it ultimately makes pain worse, not sure why that is. If you've managed this long without it, best to continue to manage without it. I only take it, and just half a tab at that (anout 2-3mg codeine), when im considering going to the ER. It's my last resirt before the hospital go-to.
@A MySpondylitisTeam Member🤦Never show your drs what you were prescribed elsewhere! You never know when it may come in handy🥴. Just keep it stored for possible future need. 😉

April 26, 2025
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

I was on methadone for 23 years. Then one day at my pain management doctor I asked if he'd be okay with me trying to quit. With doctors approval I was clean in two months and no my pain levels havn't changed. One caveat here; I also have a SCS and a pain pump implanted. These are only my results and mine only. (If) I could go back I wouldn't have started pain meds. First it was oxycontin, then fentynal patches and so on. Do I believe some people need pain meds? A resounding YES! Opioid pain medication is not for everyone and you need to research the side effects closely.

April 24, 2025
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

Yes I am on Oxynorm 10mg but I will only use it when I am really in so much pain that I can't take it anymore. I also use it sparingly as I don't want to become dependent on it and the other reason is that it's very expensive here in South Africa, in my circumstances at least.

May 8, 2025
A MySpondylitisTeam Member

@A MySpondylitisTeam Member
Oh, I have learned this over the years!
It definitely would have come in handy a couple of months ago.
I will live and learn 🤣🤣

April 26, 2025
MySpondylitisTeam

Yes, opioid pain relievers like oxycodone are used by some people with spondylitis to manage chronic pain. Based on a survey of MySpondylitisTeam members, opioid pain relievers (including medications like hydrocodone and oxycodone) were among the three most commonly used medication categories for managing spondylitis Show Full Answer

Yes, opioid pain relievers like oxycodone are used by some people with spondylitis to manage chronic pain. Based on a survey of MySpondylitisTeam members, opioid pain relievers (including medications like hydrocodone and oxycodone) were among the three most commonly used medication categories for managing spondylitis symptoms. However, it's important to note that opioid medications are controlled substances that carry risks of dependency, withdrawal symptoms, and other serious side effects. Due to these concerns, many healthcare providers are cautious about prescribing these medications. If you're considering opioid medication for pain management, have an open discussion with your healthcare provider about the benefits and risks, as well as other potential pain management options that might be appropriate for your situation.

April 24, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MySpondylitisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Parkersburg, WV

A MySpondylitisTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In